Category: Activities

Where to Swim

Ambelakia Beach: at the exit of Monemvassia towards Neapolis with fine pebbles (about 5 km / 3 miles from the hotel).

Porri Beach.: at the exit of Monemvassia towards Sparta with a huge sandy beach (about 3km / 2 miles from the hotel).

Kastraki Beach: on the road to Gerakas, with shallow water and sand (about 4km / 2½  miles from the hotel).

Note: For more information concerning routes don’t hesitate to ask at reception.

Read More

Laconia Greece Guide

The borders of Lakonia region remain almost the same since ancient time. Inhabited since the Neolithic period (6000 – 3000 BC approx.), Laconia has been found in the center of a turbulent history that influenced strongly the entire ancient world.

Leleges are mentioned as its first inhabitants, who later were intermingled with Ionians and Achaeans. Ample remains have been found from settlements of the Mycenaean period. In the region of Sparta as well as in Amycles, Molaoi, Neapoli, Vion, Monemvasia, Geraki, villages of Taygetos and Parnonas and many areas of Mani, settlements and cemeteries demonstrate the density of the population during the Mycenaean period.

Following their advent around 1100 BC, Dorians were settled in the region and having Sparta as their base they conquered the entire Lakonia.

During the paleochristianic times, Laconia suffered the invasions of barbarians and in particular of Goths. In 395 BC, it was destroyed by Alarichus. During the Byzantine times, it became province of Peloponnesus Theme, which was based in Corinth. Slavic tribes were settled in Lakoniki, at the slopes of Parnonas and Taygetos, which were Hellenized from the 10th until the 13th century.

In 1458 Turks invaded against Lakonia, without however succeeding in conquering the entire region, since many areas maintained their independence, in particular Mani. The occupation of Lakonia was concluded in the middle of the 16th century, with the exception of Mani that managed to keep some privileges and independence.

In 1685 Lakonia was occupied by the Venetians until 1715, when it was once again fall under the Turkish domination and was destroyed by the Turk-Albans due to various fights. Lakonia took active part in the revolution of 1821.

Read More

Tourist Guide Monemvassia

The founding of the settlement by the Lacedominians was in the 6th Century B.C.  A smaller settlement was created further down and the town slowly developed, which had great strategic value.

After a short papal occupation, it comes under Venetian sovereignty in 1464.  In 1540, the period of the 1st Turkish occupation begins, and the continuing decline that had begun, becomes more evident. In 1690 the town was surrendered to the Venetians. In 1715, the Turks reoccupy the town.

In 1821 it was the first of the fortified towns of the Peloponnese to be freed. The most important monuments and architecture: the settlement of Monemvassia is divided into 2 parts, each of which are located on different levels, and have separate fortifications.

In the upper town, which is uninhabited today, there are remnants of numerous Byzantine, and late Byzantine buildings. Here, Aghia Sofia is located, an octagonal shrine with a dome, which researchers believe is identified with the monastery of guidance of 1150.

The lower town settlement, which is inhabited today, are found buildings which are being restored under the guidance of the archeological service.  It is surrounded by a protective wall, in a Π shape, with two gateways on the east and west with a small exit towards the sea.

The following shrines are found in the lower town:

Elkomenos Christos: Triple covered dome basilica with dome and nave, built in throne and bishops throne.  Important icons of the late Byzantine period in the interior.

Muslim Mosque: Building of the 1st Turkish occupation, which was converted into a Frankish church during the Venetian occupation, to be reconverted into a mosque in the 18th century. Today it houses the archeological collection.

Shrine Panaghias Myrtidiotissas: Single vaulted basilica with dome built around 1700.

Shrine Aghios Nikolaos: Triple vaulted basilica with cupola around 1703

Shrine Panaghias Chrysafitissas: Square room, which houses all of the shrine with a low vault of the 17th century.

In the lower town there are other but smaller shrines such as  Aghios Andreas, or Aghia Anna, Aghios Dimitrios  and many more.

Read More